There probably won`t be any implications. This is due to the double taxation treaty between Canada and South Africa. If you need to decide in which country you want to pay taxes, you should first look at the terms of the contract to determine in which country you reside. The rules of the treaty take precedence over the national laws of both countries, so that even if South Africa changes one of its own laws, it does not affect the treaty. The problem will arise when they change the treaty, which they do not intend to do at the moment, as far as I know. Therefore, if, in accordance with the treaty, you are considered a resident of Canada and South Africa, you are considered a resident of Canada only if you have a permanent domicile in Canada and not in South Africa, for the purposes of the treaty. This means that you have to pay taxes only in Canada. Regardless of whether SA considers you a resident, if you have a home in Canada and not in SA, you are only considered a resident of Canada if you decide where to pay taxes. If you are only resident in Canada, you only pay taxes in Canada. There are a few exceptions, for example.

B for other types of taxes, so it may be worth reading and making sure that you are not affected in one way or another if you get other types of income such as royalties in SA, renting real estate in SA, etc. An inhabitant of a country for tax purposes is totally separated from your status as a “citizen”, “tourist”, “permanent resident”, etc. So you can be a citizen of SA, but not a taxpayer, and a tax resident in Canada, but not a citizen, etc. Huge difference between an expat and a permanent resident. Expats eventually return home – PRs end up becoming citizens in the new country that will become their new home. South Africa has an extensive network of double taxation treaties. Under certain conditions, the south African tax exemption generally applies where the natural person is established for tax purposes in the other country or jurisdiction for contractual purposes and must reside in South Africa for a reference period of 12 months of less than 183 days, as specified in the relevant double taxation convention. However, where the employee is paid by an established South African company (or is provided by local services) or his remuneration costs come into force to a South African company or are attributable to a South African permanent establishment (PE), this facilitation generally does not apply to that remuneration. Canada has double taxation agreements (SAAs) with the following countries: the Agreement between Canada and the Federal Republic of Germany, signed on July 17, 1981. – Return – Protocol amending the Agreement between Canada and Switzerland as signed on October 22, 2010. I don`t know if this has ever been posted, but here`s an article that describes the situation with the new expat tax law and the double deal in the same way that my own research has shown.